Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Joy Clipboard

Here's my third art deco clipboard. I'm actually fairly pleased with this one.

Again, my goal was to create a usable and unusal piece of art/craft work.

So, The usable and durable was achieved. 7 coats of mod-podge, sanded twice. Finally, 3 coats of varnish for a durable and water-resistant surface.

I'm more pleased with the unusual and unique aspects of this one than the others. The quote is 'Joy is not in things, it is in us.' And the large image is of a woman swimming in a lit pool. I like how the round circles I cut from the 70's style paper create floating bubbles... I wish the flower paper under her wasn't quite so dynamic. After putting the image of the woman over the back, I felt like the flowers competed with her and her bubbles... But, I admit I'm learning. And I admit I didn't really know where I was going when I started this one.

I am keeping the fronts of the clipboards very simple so that they don't affect the writing- who wants weird lines on their paper?

Okay, last night I went on Etsy and looked up 'clipboards'. Most of them were in the $16 range, but they were only one side, and they looked more like what I'm doing on the fronts- simple, pretty, a few blocks of paper plus some ribbon.

I found a couple that were 2 sided, and they were $32. However, both sides looked like what I'm doing on the front.

So, where does this leave me? Are these unique enough that I should be charging more? Or are they basically the same thing as what I'm doing, with me just making them more like note cards? I don't know enough yet! And so far, they haven't sold. Will they? Or are they just something I spent way too much time learning on?

No comments: