Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dealing With Loss










I just heard this from a grief counselor and found it incredibly powerful-

"You can't just 'get over it' and 'go back to normal' after a significant loss because you are no longer the same person."
What I got from this- The loss itself changes you enough that your new 'normal' is no longer what your normal was before..
Losing my father left a place in my personality that no one else can fill. I am thankful that he is home, that he no longer hurts like he did. I am thankful that he is with Jesus, and that he is now the person God meant for him to be all along. I am thankful he is enjoying the presence of God and singing with the angels. I know that he is aware of what's going on here with me, that he sees his grandchildren, that he still loves us and that now it's a love perfected by the grace of God
But his loss changed me. I don't joke with anyone else like I did with him. He was my daddy, and I no longer have a daddy to interact with on a regular basis. I miss him.
And it's okay to walk through grief and allow that change me.

Photo found at: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sunset_may_2006_panorama.jpg

No comments: