Sunday, April 10, 2011

Realizations

I saw my pain doctor this week and she reminded me that in the last 2 years I've had 3 major surgeries. Not just minor ones. We're talking MAJOR- Two spinal surgeries, and one gynocological. So maybe I need to not be so hard on my poor body.

I've just realized how angry I've been with my body for all the pain I've dealt with this last year. Hmmm.... Might explain why I've gained a little weight. Interesting how I've chosen to take out my anger on my poor beleagured body. I stopped exercising, because... well, for a while there I couldn't even walk! Then after my first spinal surger when I could walk, I hurt so much that I didn't want to walk. Then this whole neck thing had gotten so bad that I could not feel my left hand, and was starting to lose mobility.

I did have some reasons for being angry with my ridiculous body and it's over-the-top pain. However, I really need to be kind to it! It's recovering and doing amazing things.

So, here's a letter to my body:

Dear body- I am so sorry I've been so hard on you. I've been over-feeding you, not letting you get enough sleep, and not taking you out for walks or any kind of exercise. I'm sorry. I will do better.

I will feed you more appropriately- healthy foods and less of them. I will give you the sleep you need- not just 4 or 5 hours a nights. And I will take you for walks or maybe even dances!

1 comment:

Ruby Hawk said...

Becca, you are so right about being kind to your body. Too often we forget that in taking care of others. I'm so sorry you have had such a bad year and I hope it will be better next year. Your family is lovely.