Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek

For those of you who don't know, I consider myself a Trekkie.
I've seen all the episodes of the original Star Trek more than once, and know a shocking amount of trivia about the episodes. I'm not one of the Trekkies who can explain every bit of the technical aspects of the Star Trek universe. I loved the characters, and their relationships.
I read the novelizations of the episodes. I read and still own about 50 of the first novels. I loved this universe and still read some of the books. I loved the cartoon, and have seen every episode and I've read & own those novelizations.
I thoroughly enjoyed The Next Generation, but wouldn't classify myself as a Trekker (that's the people who prefer The Next Generation or one of the later model- Deep Space Nine, Voyager, or Generations).
I am a Trekkie. I always loved the interplay between the original characters- Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Chekov, Sulu, Scotty, Nurse Chapel... And the aliens. And the red shirts.

I saw the new movie today with Jake. I loved it. And I absolutely hated it. I'm not going to give anything away for those of you who haven't seen it yet and want to, but they broke my heart.
I appreciated the story line, and the idea of going back in time and changing things. This opens up wonderful new adventure possibilities, and I know they are drawing in new fans with the retelling of the originals.
And, I loved the movie. I enjoyed the story line. I loved the re-visioning of the characters. But some of what they did was devastating to my Trekkie heart...

No comments: