Saturday, February 24, 2007

Two Movies

My sister went to blockbuster and checked these out- She's great at finding movies that most everybody enjoys. These two were successes at pleasing most everybody. Jake wasn't convinced until we talked about them.

The Devil Wears Prada
Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway
I so enjoyed this- I haven’t read the book so I can’t compare, but the tone was so great. Respectful of the fashion industry, yet still poking fun at itself. Meryl Streep is as always, amazing. Right off the top of my head I can’t think of any other actor who could have pulled of this horrible woman and still let you understand her. Anne Hathaway is a delight, of course. Good “coming of age”/ “figuring out who you are” story. Fun if you like costumes…

Little Miss Sunshine
Toni Collette, Alan Arkin, Greg Kinnear
This was great. I laughed out loud several times during this odd little macabre comedy. I love Toni Collette (she was the mom in 6th Sense), and she does a great job here, as do all the rest of the actors. Very odd/quirky flick about this family (mom, dad, grampa, teenage brother, and suicidal uncle) who take their daughter to a little girl’s beauty pageant in a van that keeps disintegrating around them. Comments on the world of beauty pageants and what it means to be a winner or a loser… Loved some of the cool cinematography. Not appropriate for kids by the way, but I can’t tell you why ‘cuz it’s part of the surprise at the end, and it’s not dirty, just quite a surprise…

No comments: