Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Nudity and Harry Potter

So, apparently Harry Potter (or, rather the actor playing him) is appearing nude in some play somewhere and a bunch of parents are all scandalized and h’et up, and there’s no way they’re takin’ their chill’en to see the next movie… My mom read it somewhere and was telling us some of the details she could remember, which wasn't very much really.

How old is he anyway? I don’t know what the child labor laws are like in England, but over here they’re shockingly strict and they’ll come down on movies, tv shows and plays like a ton of bricks if they’re messing around with nudity or overextending time… So, he must be older than I thought…

I don’t have much to say, except that it is interesting to me that probably most of those hot and bothered parents have supplied their precious innocent children with CD’s from the latest half-naked Brittney-Spears-wanna-be slithering across a stage…

What’s the difference?? I don’t know anything about the play itself, or its content, so I can’t claim it’s all in the interest of art, or that it is a hard-hitting play telling some horrible truth about abuse. I don’t know. It just seems like people show up for some hot button issue and then drop out when they’re son is gazing at some mostly unclothed girl on a CD or DVD cover or their daughter is wearing something to high school more appropriate for pole dancing (and don’t forget, I was a high school teacher in the not so distant past, I've seen more teeny-bopper 'tits and ass' than any straight adult woman should have to…)

(on a side-note: although I like Michael W. Smith and his music as much as the next 30-something white Christian, does it bother anyone else that the chorus to “Oops, I did it again” can be sung to the chorus of one of his latest songs “It’s All in the Serve”???? I’m serious. It’s NOT just that it’s the same chord structure. It can be sung almost like a descant over the top of what he’s singing… Does this bother anyone else???? Does he KNOW this??? I admit I never would have noticed this if my husband hadn't pointed it out... He had the dubious honor of working for Radio Shack and 'getting' to hear the song once every hour for a whole month...)

2 comments:

What Would Jesus Glue? said...

The play in question is Equus, about a young man who is erotically fascinated with horses. I saw the movie a ton of years ago. It's a bit strange to say the least. I guess young Radcliffe is trying to build up his non-Potter resume since he only has 3 movies left.

becca said...

I've read the play- didn't much care for it, very strange thing... I think I remember finding the psychiatrist/psychologist/therapistvery odd... but who knows... It was a LONG time ago, probably 13 or 14 years or so, I think I read part of it in high school. I could be confusing it with something else.