Wednesday, May 14, 2008

On Aging

Okay, so I'm not that old, really. I probably don't have the right to speak about aging. I'm only 36, although I have to say: My body already has problems! I don't look forward to the problems I'm gonna have later...

I read this fantastic article titled 'As Time Goes By' in the May 2008 issue of Reader's Digest. I have to share a tidbit from it-
*****

I don't know what further changes I will enjoy or endure as I age, but I do know the answer to the question I asked myself at 30, 40, and at 50: How did I get to be this old?

I was lucky. Getting old is what I want to do. Getting old, whatever the years bring, is far better than not getting old. Or, in the words of Maya Angelou, "Mostly, what I have learned so far about aging, despite the creakiness of one's bones and cragginess of one's once-silken skin, is this: Do it. By all means, do it."
Written by Reeve Lindbergh, the youngest child of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh.


*****

I hate what my body is doing right now... And I'm not looking forward to it getting worse!
But I do want to be alive. I do want to grow old. I want to see my children grow up and grow old. And see my husband grow old. I want to see the world change... I'd like to see it grow for the better, but I recognize the human propensity & capacity for evil... I want to be close to family & friends. I want to slow down. I want to grow old...

No comments: