Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Broken Glass

Among the thoughts that shaped me most was the story Ravenhill told of the notorious British criminal Charlie Peace, who was going to his death on a capital offense. As the minister was reading from the Bible and another book, Charlie Peace asked, "Do you really believe in such a place called hell?" The minister replied, "Yes." Charlie responded- and this is the thought that impacted me- "Sir, if I believed what you and the church of God say that you believe, even if England were covered with broken glass from coast to coast, I would walk over it, if need be, on hands and knees, and think it worth while living, just to save one soul from an eternal hell like that!" That struck me. If what we lay claim to on these matters is true, then the dramatic influence in our lives is going to be inestimable.
"Even if England were covered with broken glass from coast to coast, I would walk over it." This is the kind of reality, and these are the words, that shape one’s call.
*****

Quoted from the article Reading: The Fingerprints on Your Soul By Ravi Zacharias, from the book Indelible Ink

No comments: