Friday, August 03, 2007

Holy, holy, holy

The center of all existence is God upon His throne. John had the hair-raising, perspective-changing opportunity to do something all of us secretly wish we could do. For a little while recorded in Rev. 4 and onward, he got to see life from heaven’s perspective. In his description, he implied something tremendously profound: everything else in existence is most accurately described only in its relationship to the throne of God….

Life takes on a far more accurate estimation and perspective when we learn to view it increasingly through the vantage point of the One who spoke it into existence.

Think of some of your greatest challenges. Picture them. Then go back and stamp the words ‘before the throne’ before each of those challenges.

The heart of prayer is moving those very kinds of challenges from the insecurities and uncertainties of earth to the throne of God. Only then can they be viewed with dependable accuracy and boundless hope. Close your eyes and do your best to picture the glorious seraphim never ceasing to cry, “Holy, holy, holy!” Imagine the lightning emitting from the throne, and hear the rumblings and the thunder. Picture the elders overwhelmed by God’s worthiness, casting their crowns before the throne.

I ask you the following question under my own tremendous personal conviction: Do we think God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, can manage our lives and our problems? Oh, beloved, fight the good fight of faith! Approach the throne of grace with confidence! Our God is huge!

Quoted from The Beloved Disciple, by Beth Moore


God, I trust you. You are the only one who can truly manage my life and my problems. Everything feels out of control, but I believe you have placed me exactly where I am and in this precise situation for a reason. God, I can’t manage my life. Please manage it. Please run it according to your kindness and mercy. Before your throne: my calling to ministry. Before your throne: my hurt and bitterness over this Shannon Park. Before your throne: my femininity. Before your throne: our girls. Before your throne: where we are living right now. Before your throne: our finances. Before your throne: Jakes’ calling & pain. Before your throne: our connection with a church. Before your throne: when we move outside. You’re in control and I will trust your kindness and merciful ways.

No comments: