Friday, July 13, 2007

My Garden

I've finally been able to putter about my flower garden and make some changes. I love gardening- one of those weird things I didn't know about myself until I finally got to try it. I don't know how to explain the contentment I get from digging and planting and watering and planning... I like getting my hands in the dirt!

Right now I'm not doing any veggies, just flowers. We're overrun with delphiniums, so I've been digging 'em up, moving them around and planting some other stuff- poppies, daisies and johnny-jump-ups... I have some long term plans with the whole thing and I'm enjoying it so much. :) In the past I've spent a lot of time, money and effort on annuals and then they're gone! So this year I've really focused on perennials- stuff that'll make it through the winter.

Here's an odd fact about Fairbanks: if we don't get enough snow on the ground to protect the plants from the cold, they'll die... Weird, huh? Doesn't quite sound right. The snow insulates the plants and their roots from the bitter cold (-40's or -50's), so if we get a low snow year, we lose a lot of our plants. A few years ago, I lost a bunch of daisies from a low snow year. I'm learning some different ways of protecting them so that they come back. We'll see what happens when I'm all done, and next summer.

No comments: