Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Country 'Tis of Thee Blog Hop

I have totally disappointed myself this week.  I expected to be able to work on my project while I was teaching drama at camp, and this was a COMPLETELY foolish expectation.  I barely had time to sleep, much less bead.  So I am not done yet.  I have my inspiration, an idea and a goal, but it is not complete.
*****

I studied France because my mom's family fled France to escape religious persecution.  They were French Huguenots (similar to the AnaBaptists at the time) and were escaping death. Approximately 500,000 French Huguenots were put to death by the Catholic church in France.

I am proud of my French heritage and have studied the language and the country, but researching why we left was a little shocking.  Since most of my jewelry is inspired by nature- flowers, leaves, butterflies-  I thought it might be better if I looked in that direction.  After discovering the national flower of France, I felt more confident.


The national flower for France is the Iris.

Which is represented by the Fleur-de-lis or "flower of lily".

This one is fun since it also shares the French flag colors: 
Blue, White and Red or simply the Tricolor.

So, I have my inspiration, and some ideas percolating in my head.  I expect to have a finished piece soon.  I am so sorry I don't have it finished!

Please visit all the other bloggers participating in this challenge.  The listing is here on Wired Nan's Blog.

4 comments:

ACBeads said...

Becca, I'll come back to see your piece. I love learning new things - I didn't know the connection between the Iris (flower) and the fleur-de-lis (emblem). Have a great weekend. Ana

Toltec Jewels for Jewel School Friends said...

Hi Becca! I'll be sure to check back to see your Iris! The iris is my favorite flower. I had no idea the fluer-d-lee is an iris! So cool.

I am a poet also, and most of my published work is poetry actually. I have a favorite poem for the Iris, called "Love should grow like a wild Iris in the Field" -- I'll post it on my blog in a few days.

I'll check back :)
Love,
Rita

Liz said...

I think you have wonderful inspiration to work from and am looking forward to seeing what you make when you have time. Beading should definitely NOT add stress to your life, it's there to RELIEVE stress. Happy summer!

Anindita Basu said...

Becca, Your story is intriguing. I did not know about this and would like to know more about this part of the history, though it is sad.

I love the way you chose the Fluer-de-lis idea and the color combination is interesting, especially in USA we are into Red White and Blue now for the 4 th of July celebration.

Looking forward to seeing your finished jewelry soon. Dita.