Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday Smiles

On Saturday I write about a couple of things that have made me smile this past week.
*****

1) The Noel Wien Public Library in Fairbanks



I found two new books from authors I love!  Plus some older books I've thoroughly enjoyed.  While my girls are in Girl Scouts I get two quiet hours to go pick out as many books as I can carry.  I read so many this last two weeks.  In particular I love Tanya Huff's The Silvered, and Mercedes Lackey's Home from the Sea.
But the library itself is a joy and delight.  There is a huge area just for kids, and computers, and rooms to check out for groups and they have trees growing in the foyer.  Real trees!  Which I think is really cool.

2) Girls Scouts
My girls simply adore their troop, and have been delighted at being able to participate.  I don't know if they will next year, but this year has been so fun for them.  Deborah is a Girl Scout Junior, and Abigail is a Brownie.  They play together and learn how to get along with other kids.  They learn about the world around them and are earning badges.  Pretty cool.

3)  I got to go back to tutoring this week.
We assess all of the kids in the school three times a year.  It's this crazy marathon of listening to every kid read for about 3 minutes.  It's exhausting and stressful.  Boring, because you hear the same stories over and over; but high tension, because you want to get it just right for every kid.  It takes about a week, and we finished on the 14th, so I got to go back to working with students.  Which I prefer.  I know that checking on students progress helps them, but it is not fun for anybody.



No comments: