Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Best Things

I don't know how many times over the years I've casually said, "Wow, that's the best thing that ever happened to me." Not a lot, but enough to know that I'm incredibly blessed.

I tend to mostly focus on the negatives.  Isn't that silly?  I'll think 'wow, this was my worst year ever for health problems', or 'that doctors appointment was the worst one I've ever had.'

I want to focus on the Best Things, not the Worst Things.   So, in honor of my challenge to focus on the good rather than the bad, I am going to start a running list of the Best Things that have ever happened to me.  I will add more to the list, and I hope to start adding posts entirely dedicated to great things.

Here are some to begin with:

*My First Best Friend
Being born into my specific family was one of the Best Things that ever happened to me, because I got my first best friend, my sister - Beth, handed to me and did not have to go out and find her.  She was just there!  We moved around a lot, so I learned that Beth was one of the constants in my life.  We played together, we fought a little, and we got to experience life together.

*My First Kitty
I prayed and prayed for a kitten for years, and finally, when I was 11 we moved to Kotzebue Alaska.  It's a tiny Eskimo village way up inside the Arctic circle, and for whatever reason, (I was miserable and lonely, I was suicidal) my parents let me get my very own kitten.  I named her Tiger and she was extremely special.  She was smart, unusually smart, and she knew she was a cat and we were people.  We'd play fetch and she'd sit on my lap while I read.  She had beautiful green eyes, and I was her special person.  I told her everything, and she kept my secrets.  Tiger was one of the Best Things that ever happened to me.

No comments: