Wednesday, September 19, 2012

On Adulthood



I wrote this poem about 10 years ago when we were making the decision to  move up to Alaska....  And dealing with a difficult pregnancy.  Atwood's quote made me think of it.  I don't want to grow up, not really, but I like a lot of the perks of being an adult.  There has to be some where in between- where you can handle the responsibility, but still remember the joy of childhood.


Being an Adult

I whisper longingly of joining the circus,
transforming myself into a clown, or a high wire artist.
I dream of running away-
from our tidy condo where never, never echoes in the shadows.
I need to start over
like pulling clean warm laundry from the dryer.
Here is only sighs and promises.
Now is only collectors and debts,
dirty dishes and bills.
I miss running through the sprinkler and laughing as the water hit my skin.

I hate adulthood
dealing with it
and making something of your life

Wish there really was a net under this high wire act

No comments: