Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bead Table Wednesday

It's time to share my work-space again... So, I invite you to enter my mess.

My mess has decreased by a small amount since last Wednesday, but not as much as I had hoped.

I've gotten some pictures taken of my metal-smithing projects, and a couple of projects completed. However, my bead table is still in chaos, and I don't know how much longer I can handle it.

Here's the mess...
















And here's my current project. I'm working on a brass cuff bracelet, and I have struggled to find the right beads to match this component.

I admit it- When I originally grabbed this metal I had no idea it was brass. I love digging through the discard box in the shop- picking through everybody else's trash metal, and choosing their junk to turn into my treasures. I've created some of my favorite pieces from crazy worked over metal.

Anyway, I had no idea this metal was brass, or I probably would have let it stay in the discards 'cuz brass is so hard to work with and cut. Brass is difficult. Hard to cut, hard to solder, hard to shape. When I found the metal it was this lovely bronzey-coppery color, and I thought it was copper (my favorite metal). I was wrong. While I love the end results, I would never choose to willingly work with brass to create a cuff bracelet again.

I think I'm probably going to end up loving this piece. I've taken longer to match the right beads to the cuff and I suspect the rewards will be pretty sweet.

No comments: