Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wednesday is LIBRARY Day!

Two books to share- both paranormal.
*****

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

From the cover: Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers. Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him. Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.

Beth loaned me this book, which often means I will hate it. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The Body Finder is a coming-of-age novel, which I generally enjoy. However, this one was particularly interesting because of Violet's struggle to use her abilities to help others. She has always hated her ability, but choosing to use it to find the killer is interesting.I enjoyed the relationship between Violet and Jay. I loved the relationship Violet had with her parents. I enjoyed the mystery, and Violet and Jay's attempts to find the killer. His reaction to her choices is completely believable- my husband would flip out if I put myself in the situations this little naive thing keeps walking into...
Caveat: I would want to talk to my daughter about this book if she chose to read it- the lust/romance tension in the book is pretty high for a teenager and I'd want to talk to her about the wisdom of hanging out alone in your bed-room with your boy-friend for hours on end...

House of Cards by C.E. Murphy (the 2nd book in the Negotiator Trilogy)
From the cover: New York City's only legal counsel to the fabled Old Races, Margrit Knight is levelheaded in all matters extraordinary. But when she's summoned to negotiate a peace treaty among rival factions, her own mortal world threatens to fall apart.
Margrit's been in hot water before, but reentering the underworld brings a new set of problems. And a new set of friends and enemies, including a ruthless vampire mobster, a dragonlord who won't take no for an answer, a band of subversive selkies... oh, and Alban Korund, the sexy gargoyle who got her into this mess- and whose granite-strong touch still haunts her every fantasy...

I love C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers books, and I enjoyed the first one in this series- Heart of Stone. However, this one is SLOW... It is very detail-oriented and political, recording all the machinations of each faction.
I just want something to happen... And it never really does. I have put the book down several times, and moved on to something else. I have a LOT going on with Farmer's Market open again- special orders for customers and stuff to get done. I wish this book held my attention better than it does. Pretty sad.

No comments: