Friday, December 12, 2008

Imminent surgery

I am looking at having a very serious surgery on my spine next week.

I was in a moderately severe car accident back in September and my symptoms have gotten more and more severe and downright weird- just back pain at first, but then I started losing feeling in my right leg and having difficulty walking. After completing some tests, we saw my doctor today. I have a funny looking dark spot completely covering and pushing aside my spinal cord in my lower back. I got to see the MRI picture and it's really freaky looking...

My doctor immediately called a neurosurgeon in Anchorage and had us wait until he called back. I am scheduled to fly down next Monday to meet with him, and then have surgery on Tuesday. This seems so fast to me that I'm practically reeling...

While it is mostly likely a ruptured disc, there are other possibilities...

Please pray for me that I will be calm and not panic... That my mom and sister will be able to take care of Deborah and Abigail while my husband and I are gone... That my recovery will be quick, so I can get back home to my girls... That it won't be a tumor and that my doctor will have wisdom and grace...

I'm allergic to almost everything having to do with surgery- nickel (so I have a bad reaction to surgical steel), narcotics (so I throw up & throw up & throw up), and the tape they use to hold bandages on incisions. When I have surgery it gets pretty ugly.
Please pray that I will recover miraculously well.

No comments: