Thursday, September 04, 2008

Alaskan Politics

I avoid political discussion like the plague. I hate discussions that turn into disagreements and often find myself at a loss for words even when I have oceans of knowledge on a specific subject. When my emotions start getting involved (which happens fairly quickly for me) I have trouble recalling what I know, and then I get flustered and more incapable of thinking clearly... And then it's a vicious cycle- can't think- get flustered- can't think more- get upset... (And I have a Communication degree! Isn't that funny?!)

I wouldn't call myself a democrat or a republican... I'm a conservative and often vote republican; however, I tend to vote for the candidate not for the party. Until last week I was still undecided about which candidate I'd choose for president.

Recently, several friends have asked me for my opinion on the acceptance of Alaskan governor Sarah Palin as McCain's VP running mate, so I'm choosing to have my very short say. It's okay if you don't agree with me, just don't expect to get to have a debate to change my mind. :)

First, let me say: I don't have as much knowledge as many others. I probably don't know as much as you do! (whoever YOU are) I'm not a politician. I'm not one to follow everything going on in Washington, D.C. or even in Juneau. I'm a typical educated & voting Alaskan.


This is what I do know: Palin's been good for Alaska. She may not be perfect and I may not agree with everything she does, but I respect and admire her. She is approachable and honest. She's a real person with a real American life and she has made no bones about that, which means she has the difficulty of real kids, not perfect ones. I support her desire to clean up the Alaskan political arena and I appreciate the fact that she is not a 'politician' as such... She knows more about the energy situation than most, and she has personal reasons for getting the situation in Iraq clarified and straightened out. She is experienced, energetic, charismatic and knowledgeable.

I like her. And probably will end up voting for McCain because of her.

No comments: