Saturday, June 03, 2006

Women in worship leadership

I've served as a worship leader for more than five years now- more like fifteen years. I've led worship for more than four churches. My husband and I have led worship together at our current church for three years... We've loved it here! Of course it's hard work, but it's worth it. We have been doing what God has called us to do...

Now we've got a new pastor. He arrived in February and two weeks ago told us that women may not lead worship- that they are to remain silent in the church gatherings, except for giving testimony. He said that I have completely misinterpreted God's call on my life- not that I've done a poor job leading, just that it is not an appropriate leadership role for any woman to be in. He's perfectly okay with me planning the services, just not speaking.

So, we're leaving obviously- which is killing me. This is the longest my husband and I have been in any church together- I can't believe I'm losing my church family over this-
This is the first time I've had to deal with anyone in a pastoral role who believes this... I did not have a single professor at seminary who believed that women were restricted from this role- I have served in six churches with women in worship leadership, and my current church is the only one where I've been the only woman they've ever had in this role... He has so much scripture to back him up-

I'm very sure God has called me to worship leadership... He has confirmed this is so many ways- the one good thing about this is that I've started using drama more. I'd kind of not been doing it and focusing on the music, which is ridiculous since I know beyond a shadow of a doubt how powerful drama can be in worship services.

this is killing me- I don't want to leave my church...
Wow, God uses the hardest things to move us out of our comfort zones...

God, please use this hurt, this ache for good things. Please put my husband and I where you want us to be- in a place where we can both fully use our gifts and talents to glorify you and lift you up. Please use our lives to glorify yourself... We offer you our lives, our minds and hearts- Please lead us like Abraham to the place you have for us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, so sorry you have run into a Sunny-Pat-Puppet-on-a-string moron. (Sunny-Pat is one of my two nicknames for Paige Patterson) There are plenty morons out there, but I didn't think there were any adventerous enough to get up there to AK to bother you. Scripture does not back up, nor excuse this moronic position. Especially since he is not limiting you except in the outward show of actually speaking what you plan. This is proof that he cares only about the outward show of human power and not the demonstration of the power of the word of God. Anyway, we will pray with you that God will make a place for you. My parents got kicked out of their SBC church on Guam when Uber-Conservatives took it over. It wasn't pretty.