Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Books I've read in June

Since I've just decided to do this , it won't include everything....

Not For Glory by Joel Rosenberg- Dark Sci-fi military story, Interesting bit is that it explores the culture of a world established by Jewish refugees from Israel after the homeland is destroyed by Islam, good story, interesting ideas
Mystic & Rider by Sharon Shinn- Love her stuff, just love it, haven't read anything of hers that's yucky yet, good characters, interesting story line, cool world
Once Upon a Time She Said by Jane Yolen- This is a book of short stories and articles written by Yolen, Excellent stuff, she is the queen of new fairy tales, but the sad truth is that I only made it 2/3rds of the way through this one, I enjoyed it, but she is so DARK, I was getting major depressed and then I had to turn it into the library, so we'll see... maybe I'll check it out again and finish it...
Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon- very good, particarly fun because of the cross-cultural alien stuff
Sanctuary, Phoenix & Ashes & Gates of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey- I do like Mercedes Lackey :), very satisfying
Julia's Last Hope by Janette Oke- interesting choice since I'm now moving...
In Death Ground by David Weber- Dark, dark, dark, a no-win space battle, I love Weber's characters, but I probably won't read the rest of this series
High Wizardry, A Wizard Abroad, A Wizard Alone, and A Wizard's Dilemma by Diane Duane- young adult fantasy, I love it when I can go to the library and they have every book in a series and I can just read straight through, These have all this 'almost Christian language', but then there's this weird thing with the Lone power (the bad guy) getting reconciled with the Powers That Be (the good guys), and being raised back to their level...
Plan B and I Dare by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller- the final two of their story arc, Sci-Fi stories of manners with touches of Austen... I like these... Satisfying ending
Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts- yes, it's a romance and I rarely read these, but Roberts characters are actually believable people... this one wasn't high on my best books I've read recently list, though

That's all I can remember right now... Maybe I'll be able to pull the rest out of my poor beleagured brain... Of course, this doesn't include all the stories I'm reading with my girls. Those are just pure fun.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

have you ever read any of the Thursday Next books? (The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, etc?)
Actually, this is Melissa

becca said...

No, who's the author? What's the genre? I'll read almost anything if somebody I trust tells me they're good :)

Unknown said...

It is Jasper Fforde, (yeah I spelled that correctly) I have it listed in my sidebar. When I have time I am going to make those links,...

Genre, hard to pin down. We have found them in the Sci-Fi section most consistently, but they also show up in the mystery section and the fantasy section.

Intrigued yet?

The plots concern mysterious adventures and investigations inside other books. For example the first novel involves Jane Eyre being kidnapped from her own novel. In the one I am now reading, (The 4th book) Hamlet is in the real world trying to understand why people think he is indecisive...

This is both of us by the way! :)