Saturday, January 10, 2009

Be A Man


Over the Christmas break I introduced my girls to the Disney movie Mulan. I put this one off because of the ancestor worship stuff- they're just not old enough to understand what's going on yet. We got through that issue with no problems easily. My girls keep surprising me! ;) They were like- 'Oh, they're ghosts. Silly ghosts.'


I have to share the one thing that seems to get everyone around here- the song 'Be A Man'.
Here is the original chorus:

"Be a man
We must be swift as the coursing river
Be a man
With all the force of a great typhoon
Be a man
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon"

First-
The humor of the girls attempting to sing the lyrics. We hear them running around singing their version:

"Be a man
We mu mmm be sssmmm river
Be a man
muu all the ccchhh phooon
Be a man
wwhoo all ssssh of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon"

The only lines they seem to be able to get are the repetitious 'Be a man', and then the final line sung with all the force of their ability to make out the words... Even though they have no idea what 'the dark side of the moon' is referring to, or even what the word 'mysterious' really means. I have explained both concepts, so they've got a grasp on it, but they're 3 and 5 and not into abstracts quite yet.
Second-
The fact that this is the only section of the song that gets stuck in my head, which means that I catch myself singing it at odd times.... And Jake and I have some of our own silly lyrics, mostly made up on the spot. They're entirely appropriate, I just can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Third-
Jake's silly delight in the idea of a man being mysterious as the dark side of the moon, which just makes me giggle.
Sorry, guys. The one thing most of you are not is mysterious as the dark side of the moon. Mostly you are NOT mysterious. My guy has trouble lying to me, hiding a present from me, trying to think of more than one thing at a time... Which is not to say he's stupid! My man is very smart, highly intelligent, and frankly, a lot of fun. He's silly and sensitive and sweet. But mysterious? no.
Definitely not as mysterious as the dark side of the moon...

No comments: