Saturday, October 06, 2007

Autumn leaves

I love to dig in the dirt, plant flowers and watch them grow. My goal is to have a little garden that pretty much comes back on it's own. So, this year I put some money into perennials, those lovely flowers that are supposed to come back. Our family has done this before with mixed success. We planted a bunch of lilies in the garden about 10 years ago and a couple of them are still around. This year when I bought poppies and daisies I asked the nursery lady about how I can protect them from the biting cold of Winter. Her suggestion was to cover my flower bed with hay or leaves. So, for the last week or two I've been diligently raking the front yard to get the bed covered with all the leaves from our birches before the snow comes.
And the girls have been 'helping'... As you can imagine, most of their helping isn't too helpful, but it is fun.


No comments: