Saturday, May 19, 2007

Battlestar Galactica


"There are those who believe... that life here... began out there. Far across the universe. With tribes of humans... who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians... or the Toltecs... or the Mayans... that they may have been the architects of the Great Pyramids... or the lost civilizations of Lemuria... or Atlantis... Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man... who even now fight to survive... somewhere beyond the heavens." from the credits on the old Battlestar Galactica

Beth and I have been checking out Battlestar Galactica DVD's from the library. We've been watching them at night while we work on our beading. Here's my sum-up:

Yay! I'm getting to watch old sci-fi! I love it!

Seriously, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying them. Yes, there's some SHOCKINGLY bad special effects for my very jaded 21st century eye. They're still fun though.

I was suprised at how much I enjoyed the pilot storyline. I really just checked it out on a whim. We didn't have a tv during the time BG ran, and I'm quite sure my mom wouldn't have let us watch it so the only time I ever saw it was at our cousins' houses... Funny to think about all the clandestine things we did with them! Fantasy Island, Love Boat, Battlestar Galactica... Our lives were greatly enriched during those visits. ;) I only saw bits and pieces of them and only had vague images of the series.

I was also surprised at how LONG it was. Good grief, pilots used to be 3 hours long!

There's an amazing amount of stock footage used in these old shows- Cylons marching around, warriors being transported to their ships... I'm so used to the high speed pacing of ER and CSI shows that these late 70's offerings feel S-L-O-W. There's no way I can do any beading when I watch a show now, but there's so much extra footage and TALKING in these episodes that I can easily work and still follow the storyline.

I don't have much to say about these stories except that I'm enjoying them. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the new series, but it probably doesn't matter since I don't get the sc-fi channel. I might get to check them out like we're doing these though, so I'll probably remain open to the possibility that I might enjoy them. :)

No comments: