Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Collage Glass Marbles Bezeled and Halfway Done!

Remember these guys?


Glass Collage Marbles: 
"Fly", "Dream", and "Once Upon A Time"

Well, I got the chance to work on them again last night, and I'm pleased with how they turned out.  I only have two of them halfway complete, the other one is still in the metals studio on campus. 


Bezeled Collage Marbles:
"Dream", and "Once Upon A Time"

 I love soldering on copper, but the other one needed a silver finish.  Which made it more complicated for me to solder, since I chose to use nickel silver instead of the real thing for the back plating.

I cut and shaped the copper, then cut and filed the silver bezel strips.  I soldered the silver bezels strips into a circle, then soldered the circles onto the copper.  Then I drilled the hole, but I think I'll need to go back and drill the hole a little bigger.  I want to put an eyelet or grommet (a rivet with a hold through it) through the hole to give it a more finished look.  I also intend to attach leather to the back of the copper so that no one has an allergic response to copper.  Besides, I just like the way the leather looks and finishes the pieces.  I have some more sanding and finishing to do, but I am so pleased with the way they turned out.


Bezeled Collage Marbles:
"Dream", and "Once Upon A Time"

After Note:  Anyone else out there hate trying to photograph glass or crystal?  I am terrible at it!  I can see the reflection of the camera in all of the marbles, and I didn't I got the collages as sharp & detailed as I wanted because of the reflective glass.  I know I can only get better with practice, but my results are always so disappointing to me that I don't want to practice...

No comments: