One of my favorite pieces from my last semester of metal-smithing is this necklace- partly because I am so pleased with how it turned out, but also because it took me four semesters of metal-smithing to complete the project. I've come so far in my ability to envision a piece of jewelry and then bring it into being. It is fun to look back at the small steps it took to complete the entire piece.
My "Bloom" Necklace
I hammered the fold-formed copper piece during my first semester and soldered it to the nickel back at the beginning of my second semester. Towards the end of that semester I cut out the flowers and soldered them onto the pendant base, but I didn't know what I wanted to do with it next. It didn't feel complete and I didn't really have a direction or idea. So I chose to let it simmer rather than push it.
A year later I took my third semester of metal-smithing and one of the first things I did was use letters to punch in the word bloom. Finally, towards the end of this last (and fourth) semester I added the rivet, the crystals, the leather, the liver-of-sulfur and the chain.
And I am keeping this one. It has been kind of cool to stretch out the process and see how my abilities slowly increased and allowed me to fully develop an idea.
The "Bloom" Pendant up-close