Saturday, April 29, 2006

Fairy Tales and Saviors

I want to free you-
follow your fading tracks,
find the golden apple,
ride the north wind,
talk to the burning sun,
cross the desert,
pull out the enchanted sword,
out-wit the troll,
master the jeweled talisman,
weave the nettle garment,
break through the tangle of thorns,
bespell the witch,
fight the evil henchmen,
climb to the top of the tower,
slay the dragon,
sneak into the dungeon,
follow your voice,
break your chains,
pull you out into the light,
and dress you in a gleaming white robe.

I want to take you by your shoulders,
look into your eyes,
and say the magic words-
Words that turn you back into yourself.
Back into my little sister,
who played aliens and jump-rope.
My sister who dreamed of fairies and princes,
of traveling over-seas,
of a two story white house
with dogs and babies in the yard.
My sister before
the depression stole you,
tied you up,
left you to die.

No comments: