Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wednesday is Library Day!!- Spellsong Cycle

I've been diving into some rich and beautiful fantasy by L.E. Modesit, Jr. The first three are actually re-reads, but well worth the time.

The Spellsong War by L.E. Modesit, Jr. (Book 2 of The Spellsong Cycle)
From his web-site: Anna Marshal is regent of the kingdom of Defalk only a few months after a sorcerer pulled her from her boring life as a music instructor in Ames, Iowa to the world of Erde. With her ability and her integrity she saved Defalk from invasion and became it’s regent. Now she must defend it against the greedy rulers of neighboring kingdoms who see a weakened state and a possible opportunity.
I love re-reading books, at least really good books. I always find more the second time than the first, and I often understand the actions of the characters far more the second time.
I understand so much more this time about Anna, both as a mother and as a woman trying to make lasting changes in a messed up country. Modesit, Jr. has created a believable, convoluted and twisty world inhabited by believable, convoluted and twisty characters.
I enjoy the magic, the politics, the balancing act, the singing and the hint of romance.
Excellent fantasy.


DarkSong Rising by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. (Book 3 of The Spellsong Cycle)
From his website: We first met Anna Marshall in The Soprano Sorceress when she wished to be anything other than a music teacher and singer in Iowa—this was before she was pulled into the world of Erde where her gift of song became a gift of magic. Her musical ability has since given Anna influence, control, and the potential to be an enormously powerful sorceress. Now, as the Regent of Defalk, Anna must battle two men who would destroy her and claim Defalk for their own.
I sympathized with Anna, and was drawn into her world completely. Just as Anna did, I grew weary of the eternal battle to protect the country. And the frustration of dealing with an over-proud and young soon-to-be king. I wished she could go home to her children, and I wished she could find happiness in Defalk and be free to make a home there.
The pressure of dealing with so many arrogant men intent on destroying the future would overwhelm me... I am amazed at her persistence, and willingness to throw herself into battle on behalf of those she knows and respects so little.
These have been worth my time, and I look forward to reading the next two in the cycle.


L.E. Modesit, Jr.'s web-site: http://www.lemodesittjr.com/

No comments: